Computer Requirements for LAEP
Platforms (Laptop required)
Microsoft® Windows® 7(or higher versions) x 64
- Recommended: Intel® Core i5 or higher processor
- 8 GB RAM
- DVD ROM drive
- A more expensive option would be the MacBook Pro with the addition of the operating system Windows 7. Many people use a MAC. You will need to purchase additional software so you can run Windows and be able to interact with GIS.
- Microsoft office – Student, Discount Version Download
- AutoCAD - Student Version Download
- ArcGIS - Download
- SketchUp - Download
- Land F/X - Download
- Lumion Pro - Download
Requirements for undergraduate & graduate
- Undergraduate students: It is strongly recommended that you have a computer starting freshman year. It is required after matriculation.
- Graduate students: It is required to have a computer starting the first year.
- The Department strongly encourages Mac users to purchase and maintain software that allows them to also run Windows.
Computer ownership & studio culture
- You are required to maintain ownership of a computer (laptop or desktop) after matriculation.
Required software programs for a particular class need to be properly installed (and function) before the class starts.
- When computer access is required for a particular class, you are required to bring your computer (laptop preferred) to the classroom. (Such as LAEP 3300 which is taught in the jury room.)
Software program & license
- You are expected to use InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop starting freshman year.
- Do not purchase AutoCAD or ArcGIS. Licenses are a part of lab fees for selected LAEP classes.