Computer Requirements for LAEP
- Operating System - Windows 10*
- Processor - 2+ GHz processor with 64-bit support
- RAM - 8GB (16GB highly recommended)
- Graphics Card - GPU with DirectX 12 and OpenGL 3.1 or higher support, and 2GB dedicated GPU memory (may be an ‘on board’ graphics card typical in laptops)
- Monitor Resolution - 1920 x 1080 display
- Hard Disk Space - 200+ GB
- 3-button, scroll-wheel Mouse
- Network - WiFi capability
*The majority of software used in landscape architecture and environmental planning is optimized for the Microsoft Windows environment. There are Macintosh alternatives or additional software that will allow you to run Windows on a Mac, which will allow you to use a Macintosh if preferred. LAEP strongly encourages students wishing to use a Mac to purchase and maintain software that allows them to also run Microsoft Windows.
- Microsoft office – Student, Discount Version Download
- AutoCAD - Student Version Download
- ArcGIS - Download
- SketchUp - Download
- Land F/X - Download
- Lumion Pro - Download
Requirements for undergraduate & graduate
- Undergraduate students: It is strongly recommended that you have a computer starting freshman year. It is required after matriculation.
- Graduate students: It is required to have a computer starting the first year.
- The Department strongly encourages Mac users to purchase and maintain software that allows them to also run Windows.
Computer ownership & studio culture
- You are required to maintain ownership of a computer (laptop or desktop) after matriculation.
Required software programs for a particular class need to be properly installed (and function) before the class starts.
- When computer access is required for a particular class, you are required to bring your computer (laptop preferred) to the classroom.
Software program & license
- You are expected to use InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop starting freshman year.
- Do not purchase AutoCAD or ArcGIS. Licenses are a part of lab fees for selected LAEP classes.